Pensamos Digital, Inc. Forum Index Pensamos Digital, Inc.
Pensamos Digital Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pensamos Digital, Inc. Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewalsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: File browser Reply with quote

This is not exactly a bug more a discrepancy between the File Browser in Magic Mirror and that of Windows. Magic Mirror is sorting the filenames in true alpabetical order respecting upper and lower case correctly. Windows (XP in my case) Explorer sorts by ignoring case. So Magic Mirror is in some ways more logical but my point would be that if you are used to seeing a file in a particluar place in Windows Explorer's file browser it's kind of confusing that this file has moved somewhere completly different in the listing within Magic Mirror.

I say again I realise that proper alphabetic sorting might be more logical but unfortunately I think conforming to the way windows sorts is more desirable and less likely to confuse users.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: File browser Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback - your suggestion is a good one. I'm going to move this thread to the "Feature Requests" forum since it is closer to a request for enhancement than to a bug.

We will give some thought to your suggestion. There may be additional situations where other types of sorting would be appropriate as well. For example, the user may have changed the default sorting in Windows to be by date, in which case would it be worth sorting by date in the Magic Mirror Backup file browser given that this would be confusing without the addition of a date header? Currently, my thought is that it is probably best to always sort alphabetically and have the sorting ignore case on special platforms (at least Windows as you suggest, and perhaps others).

Thanks,
- Tim Macinta
Pensamos Digital
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pensamos Digital, Inc. Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: